Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Rant, In Which I May Lose Friends

Alternate Title: A Rant, In Which It May Be Discovered How Dog Crazy I Truly Am

In the name of full slightly more disclosure than usual, I should tell you that:

1: I am the child of divorced parents
2: I watched this show long before it became tabloid fodder
3: I will get it out of the way right now and say that yes, the way the kids are being treated is arguable worse, but I don't want to argue about it, ok? The comment moderation force is strong with me, so you can save any smarmy comments lambasting me for my topic choice.

*sigh* Ok, now that we're through all of that:

I am so pissed that Jon and Kate (yes, of Jon and Kate Plus 8) are getting rid of their German Shepherds. There, I said it. I feel better now.

No, no I don't.

I wholeheartedly and emphatically believe that your kids shouldn't be punished for your failed marriage. I do not fly the 'Stay Married No Matter What' flag. You're not doing your kids any favors, because by the time you are nearly-but-not-quite-in Divorceland you're no longer focused on being good parents anyway, because one or both of you is in a near constant state of meltdown. So instead, I proudly fly the 'Stay Functional' flag. Do what you have to do to have a healthy, functional family. No matter what. Even if it means getting a divorce.

Healthy, functional people grow up out of divorced households all the time.

How many healthy, functional people do you know who grew up in a household where everyone, including the kids, knew these two needed a divorce, but instead they just made each other, and everyone around them, miserable until the kids could escape?

So I'm not going to launch into an in depth analysis of whether I think Jon and Kate should be getting a divorce; or whether I should be blogging over the trauma that the poor children will have to endure because of their parents choice to split, instead of railing on these people for flaking on the 15 year commitment they signed onto when they picked up their German Shepherd puppies. Which will commence...right now.

In the grand scheme of things, at least these dogs came from a reputable breeder who was willing to take the dogs back, no matter what. They will be re-homed and maybe they'll be able to stay together (I'm hopeful, especially after all the public brouhaha that this is stirring up). But that's almost beside the point. Or, my point, at least. Why do people think animals are disposable, or make good pawns in a divorce? I hate, hate, HATE people who get a dog and as soon as their life circumstances change, the first thing to go is the dog. Not because it is the RIGHT thing to do, (and sometimes as painful as it is to admit, there are times a dog should be re-homed) because it's the EASY thing to do. If anything, the divorce made the dogs an inconvenience.

You. Made. A. Commitment. To. An. Animal. That. Completely. Depends. On. You.

There is no room in that incorrectly punctuated sentence for inconvenience. Dogs are not kids, and they should not be confused as such, you are correct. But they are a commitment, and if you asked those kids, they would probably agree that they are part of the family. And wasn't the whole point of the kids staying in the house while Mommy and Daddy take turns living there to keep things as consistent for the kids as possible? How is ripping their dogs away from them helping that consistency?

You have inordinate amounts of money. You have a throng of people to help take care of your sparkly mansion and your human brood. And you mean to tell me that two German Shepherd dogs proved to be such an inconvenience that you had to rip them out of the home they grew to love and from a whole herd of kids who adored them to send them back to the breeder, because that was what is best for them?

You, Sir, are an Ass.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stands. And. Applauds.

betty said...

that was sad, I hadn't heard this but I don't keep up much with what goes on with reality TV shows. I agree with animals being part of family and it is a commitment to them when you agree to make them part of your family. Before we got Koda, we had a talk that included he goes with us when we move, if we move, and we get a rental house that will take him, no matter what cost, because we aren't giving him away and we also talked about the "we are not going to keep him alive if he is really sick, debilitated, etc and we are only keeping him alive because we can't bear to part from him".

I'm thinking those German Shepherds in the long run will have a good home, perhaps a better home than where they were, but still I know it is not good to displace them

I disagree with you about divorce, but I respect your opinion about it. I think people need to go into a marriage with divorce is not an option, but I can understand there are times when divorce is necessary, but it is definitely not God's idea for people to be divorced; and I think it is mainly because of what divorce does and how it does destroy families

I would never stop being your friend; I think it is good to have a place to express your feelings and I respect that

betty

ocmist said...

I don't follow this show either, though I had heard about the show from my daughter, who loves it. I didn't know about the dogs...

I HATE it when people do this, a I, too, am a dog lover and they ARE part of the family. I am so glad that the breeder is going to take them back. That shows the quality of person that the breeder is, and bodes well for those poor dog's futures.

We used to know someone who got a new puppy every year and then gave it away each summer when they went on vacation... IS THAT SICK OR WHAT!!!

For ME, it tend to agree with Betty on the divorce issue and only feel that it is acceptable in cases of adultery (if the spouses won't work it out) and in cases of abuse (child or spousal). Many people seem to treat marriage as others treat dogs... if it is "hard" to work through, then they quit, and this IS so hard on any kids involved. I, too, respect your right to have your own opinion, and that should NOT cause a problem for real friends... Linda

HOW COULD THEY kick someone out of their own home!!! OC

JulieandCaleb said...

I guess the reason why I mentioned divorce at all was because I've had this conversation with others and they were a bit shocked that I could be worrying about the dogs when, according to them, I should be horrified that the children now have to deal with a divorce.

Yes, divorce is horrible, and I'd bet in most instances it is a decision that reflects a person's desire to head for the hills when the going gets tough, rather than work it out. But kids can and do get through them, every day. But part of what helps them through that change, is to keep whatever can be kept the same, the same.

I will not pretend to know what went on in their home that made them decide that a divorce was warranted, but my overall point is that the decision has already been made. From here on out, the focus should be on getting the kids thorough it with as little pain as possible. Life as they know it has already changed for them in a monumental way, getting rid of the dogs is just one more change they don't need, and to be honest, I have a feeling that the decision to get rid of the dogs was, at best, one of convenience, and at worst, one of spite. I don't believe the kids were factored in at all in this decision.

Looking back, I can see how my proclamation to "Stay functional" could have been interpreted as, "If you want a divorce, get one! If you're bored, hit the road! Looking for something new, go for it!"

I don't believe that. Functional, healthy relationships have their dysfunctional moments, their trials and tribulations, and their growing pains. Marriage shouldn't be entered into with the idea that "we can give this a shot, but if it doesn't work out, no biggie, we can split". But at the same time, marriages that are so broken and unhealthy that they spread their toxicity to everyone around them aren't the way to go, either.

So when it comes down to it, I'm not a "Don't get divorced no matter what" person. But I'm also not a "Let's give it a shot then split if it's too much work" person, either. I don't know what that makes me.

Thankfully being a Christian means I know Jesus and am saved, not that I have all the answers! Hallelujah for that! :-)