Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stairs?

As I mentioned in a previous post, Caleb and I moved into a shiny new townhouse! So far, we are both enjoying it, except for one thing:

The Stairs.

There are lots and LOTS of stairs.

Caleb is unfazed by them, he could run up and down the stairs all day long...and therein lies the problem.

Have any of you had any problems from your corgis going up and down stairs? Do you try to limit the number of times they take the stairs to prevent injuries? Am I completely insane to be worrying about this?

He's in perfect health, but as I know nothing about his lineage, I have no idea if he has any predisposition to injuries that could be sustained from running up and down stairs like a lunatic.

Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

betty said...

I know when we lived in a 2-story house I used to always worry about Koda tearing down the stairs so I can understand your concern. I know that when we first got Koda I think we either read it or heard it from the vet, can't remember, it's been 5 years, LOL, but they stressed not to have them jump from "high" places (like off beds) because it could be bad for their long backs. But I don't think I have heard anything about stairs. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more help.....

betty

Kelly said...

I worried until Gibson was about 1. Now that he is almost 2 and (should be) fully grown and developed, I don't really think about it. I still don't like him jumping off of the 3rd stair to the ground when he's really hyper, but it shouldn't be a problem if he runs up and down them once a night.

Laurie said...

We don't have many stairs in our house, but we used to live in an apartment and had to walk up and down two flights of stairs every time we left or came inside. Sadie never had a problem with them, although she does kind of jump sideways up and down them haha. Sadie's still young, so I'm not sure if this causes problems later on...

Taryn said...

Most of the advice I have read and heard concerning stairs is for corgis during their puppy phase. Corgi pups should not be wild and crazy on steps until their growth plates close, which is anywhere from 7 or 8 months up to maybe 15 months depending on the individual dog. This is especially true in the down direction since that puts alot of strain and gravity on their front assembly.

kdhuang said...

Loveeee the blog