Wednesday, February 24, 2010

For me?!?!? Wait...what do you mean, No?

Boyfriend and I took a quick detour to Dave and Buster's after dinner tonight to play a few games and won a couple of small stuffed animals from the cartoon Madagascar (One was Private the Penguin, and the other one was King Julian the Lemur, in case you were wondering). The second we walked in the front door, Caleb locked on to them with an expectant expression and the typical corgi smile. I tried to dissuade the furry child by explaining that these were MY stuffies, not Caleb stuffies, and produced a brand new bully stick to assuage any hurt feelings.

Which seemed to work...

For an hour.

After awhile, I noticed a commotion out of the corner of my eye coming from the dining room. I looked over to see Caleb staring up at the kitchen table (which is bar height, not normal dining room table height, so it is taller than normal), trying to figure out how to get at those stuffies. He remembered they were there. As I watched, he suddenly jumped up and balanced on his hind legs and stretched his neck as far as he possibly could trying to get at them. He had no place to balance his front legs to he just kind of tottered there on two legs for a second before going back to all fours then jumping back up to try again. It was hilarious. I was tempted to mark it with the clicker and add it to his repertoire of tricks, but walking around on two legs just cannot be good for his long back, so instead I dug out his favorite green squeaky ball and invited him to a rousing game of 'Look, you have 100 dollars worth of toys in the living room, you don't need my stuffies, let's play with something else'.

I just find it funny that nothing else I have ever put on that table (steak dinners, sweet treats, fresh bread, the cat) was interesting enough to walk around on two legs for, but a couple of cheap stuffies from Dave and Busters, was.

Crazy dog.

4 comments:

betty said...

LOL, I bet he was wondering why you weren't giving them to him. Maybe he thought persistence (and jumping) would help you change your mind. I think they think EVERYTHING belongs to them and EVERYONE better remember that

enjoy the day

betty

Taryn said...

It's always amusing how good their memory is when it concerns something they want!

Laurie said...

Hahaha he really wanted those toys!! Sadie stands on her hind legs sometimes to see something on the table. It's too cute.

ocmist said...

I'm sure he thought that you'd gotten them for him and just forgotten to put them within reach so was reminding you! LOL

Corgis have elephant memories!