Saturday, October 10, 2009

Cool October Weather

*Disclaimer*

I am a born and raised Californian. While I am not your stereotypical California nutcase, I do classify 'cold' as anything below about 65 degrees. You may begin your guffawing now. I would wilt and die if I lived anywhere where it snows.

It has been starting to get chilly here in Northern California. Despite loving the warm weather, I was ready for a change (Tone down that guffawing, you people with your real, distinct seasons). This may have something to do with the two pairs of boots and three sweaters I recently purchased, but that's beside the point. Time to bust out the electric blanket! Hooray!

Guess who else was ready for the cool weather to arrive? Sometimes I forget that poor Mr. Caleb has a nice double layer coat on, whether it's July or January. Yes, Caleb is definitely a cool weather kind of guy. He and Boyfriend are kindred spirits in that regard. In much the same way that I get cold when it gets below 65, Boyfriend starts complaining that it's hot if it gets much warmer than 65 degrees. We're quite a pair, yesiree. Now with Caleb in the mix, the balance of power has shifted to the ALL AIR CONDITIONING, ALL THE TIME team, and I can be found wearing hoodies year round.

This week, I noticed that Caleb's sleeping preferences have changed with the weather. In the summer, he likes to be as spread out as possible, on the floor, and preferably next to the sliding glass door. On the nights I would invite him to share half take over my bed, he'd snuggle up next to me for an ear or belly rub, then as soon as he was done, move as faaaaaaar away from me as possible and stay there for a couple hours before leaping off of the bed to look for a cooler spot.

Now that it has started cooling down, I have noticed two changes. Last week, when I invited him to share half take over my bed, he stayed next to me for most of the night. When he finally decided he needed to sleep elsewhere, he moved to his foofy pillow in between the side of my bed and door to the bathroom, far away from the drafty sliding glass door.

This was the other change:



Yes, the Beloved Fuzzy One has decided the floor is too drafty this time of year, and he has moved to higher ground. He is going to have to bust out the same corgi powers of persuasion that he used against me to keep the air conditioning running this summer to convince Boyfriend that it is perfectly reasonable to allow His Fuzziness to claim a spot on the couch during these drafty months.

I would bet on the corgi, if I were you, folks.

3 comments:

betty said...

LOL, those corgis always win; I'm betting Caleb is on the couch in no time!

Koda too is enjoying the cooler weather! I'm with you; I spent a lot of my growing up years in So. Calif so 60 degrees is cool for us (but remember I did live in Montana for 8 years where I never was warm from October through June).

Koda though grew up in Montana so he likes those subzero temps; he is thriving now when it is "chilly" in the morning

and he is sleeping more next to my hubby these days on the bed; we figure it is probably because it is finally cooling down a bit

but he's still shedding up a storm!

betty

Kelly said...

haha Gibson is loving the colder weather too... although over here it is 27 degrees this morning! He is much perkier and MUCH snugglier. Whenever my husband and I are on the couch together watching tv, Gibson has to get in-between us and cuddle. It's cute :)

ocmist said...

I definitely bet on the Corgi!!! Betty's right... Corgis ALWAYS win sooner or later when it comes to where they WILL sleep!

I used to LOVE the cool weather and I was alwsys hot even though I've been a CA person 57 years. My sister's used to use me for a heater for their hands during the winter... Then over the past several years since I lost 50 lbs. I've been SOOOO COLD... I've been in sweat shirts whenever its down to 65 to, and I used to LOVE the 40's! Corgis and Border Collies have that double coat so OC and Sadie are loving the cooler weather, but Dott didn't get much of the under coat and BG got his father's Chihuahua/Doxie coat, so he's doing a lot of shivering and snuggling. He gets UNDER the quilt between hubby and my shoulders at night, while OC sleeps at our feet, and Dott sleeps between our hips.