Tuesday, November 10, 2009

NaBloPoMo: Caleb and the Case of the Misleading Scale

We had to stop by the Vet's office yesterday morning to get Caleb's Bordetella vaccine; his Daycare is appropriately strict about keeping everyone vaccinated and they will begin to hound you starting a month before it is actually due. So, I figured the sooner we got it taken care of, the sooner I would stop receiving ominous little red pieces of paper warning me of the imminent lapse in vaccination coverage.

While waiting for the Vet Tech, I decided to poke His Furriness on the scale to weigh him. Six months ago, he was at 24.5 pounds, and I was nervous about giving him the 25 - 50 pound dose of heartworm meds. Once they explained that it would not be over medicating him, I was fine with it, and he is on it currently, but I was still curous to see if he'd gained or lost any weight.

The scale said 28.4 pounds!!

I thought my head was going to explode. There is no way Caleb is that heavy. He gained 2.5 pounds in an entire year from when I first got him to six months ago (Which he needed, 22 pounds was too skinny for him), there is no way he suddenly packed on the pounds with no changes in meal portion, number of treats, or amount of exercise! I was tryng to think up a rational explanation for this when I looked back at the scale, and realized that it was vascilating between 1 and 1.5 pounds, WITH NOTHING ON IT.

*Whew*

If their scale can be off by that much, it is probably off by more, so now I am trying to think of another way to more accurately weigh Caleb. I'm wondering if the Humane Society we went to last week to get Caleb microchipped has a scale out front in their lobby. I did not notice one, but then I was busy worrying about Caleb, not taking in the scenery.

2 comments:

betty said...

that would be scary to see that Caleb had gained that much weight. I don't (unless I love my weight which is not often these days), but my husband does; he gets on the scale and sees what he weighs. Then he picks up Koda and weighs again and subtracts his weight and gets Koda's weight. (we haven't done it in a bit....but Koda is big boned, LOL)

glad that your doggy day care is sooo concerned about Bordetella; I know that some down here insist on every 6 months for a shot

betty

ocmist said...

MMmm... Never heard of Bordetella. I'll have to google it. We got the pup's second shots today so that I can give them to them tomorrow. We know that out scale sometimes changes so we've been trying to be sure it's exactly on zero before we start weighing the pups. They are (actually, Gimli) is almost to big now to sit on it by himself, but Dott and the other two still can. Other than that, Robert weighs BG and OC the way Betty's hubby weighs Koda. Linda