Caleb did something he's never done before: Helped himself to a tasty morsel from my office mate's lunch! He had to work for it too, it wasn't exactly within easy reach; it was on a plate, on his desk, pushed back from the edge in what was an attempt by my coworker to keep his lunch to himself. I'm not sure what was up there that made Caleb so determined to help himself, but he had to time it just right, then jump up and leeeaaaaaannnn as far as he could to snag the last bits of a sandwich. I had my back to him, so I didn't see it, but I heard it: "HEY! he snagged a piece of my sandwich! Took it right off the plate!"
Thankfully: 1: My coworker is a dog person. 2: He was finished with lunch already.
Since this was the first time he'd ever done anything like this, and I could immediately correct the behavior, I told him, NO! Drop it! Which he did (I was surprised, I admit it!), then I scooped up the soggy sandwich and threw it away. My coworker wasn't upset about it and said he could eat it, it was just bread, but I explained that I didn't want him thinking it was ok to help himself (Although I was secretly impressed he managed to finagle it right out from under his nose!). So I ran through a few quick tricks with Caleb and gave him a handful of doggie treats when he completed them (The lesson: You get food when you work for it, not if you try to help yourself). But I think my coworker still felt bad for Caleb, a few minutes later he asked if he could have a few leftovers if he gave them to him. *Sigh* I said yes, as long as he does a trick first. We can now add my coworker to the list of folks Caleb has sucessfully wrapped around his paw. Who else can steal a sandwich from someone then make THEM feel bad when it gets taken away. Only my puppy.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment