Thursday, July 9, 2009

22 Days of Caleb: The Sprint

Since we don't live in a house with a backyard, Caleb and I go on LOTS of walks. Once in the morning, a quick walk in the early afternoon at work, and another long walk before dinner. Sometimes, if Boyfriend and I have completely gorged ourselves on dinner, there's a bonus fourth walk. One of these days I'm going to figure out how many miles I've walked since I acquired my Buddy Bear just from walking around the neighborhood.

When Boyfriend walks with us, there's an added bonus: The End of the Walk SPRINT! After we've made it to the final stretch of the walk and are entering the front of our complex, Caleb starts looking to Boyfriend, with that fantastic corgi smile shining. I hand over the leash to Boyfriend, and HE TAKES OFF RUNNING LIKE HIS HAIR IS ON FIRE, corgi in tow. Boyfriend is actually a distance runner (He did the SF Marathon - so proud!), but man can he sprint when he wants to! They go tearing through the parking lot of the complex together and stop at the bottom of the stairs going up to our apartment to wait for me. Boyfriend wins every time, but Caleb would like me to remind everyone that Boyfriend's legs are longer, and therefore he has the distinct advantage. For a dog with no legs, I am amazed he's as fast as he is.

We learned the hard way that while Caleb LOVES the The End of the Walk SPRINT, he does not love me being out of his sight. Once after their sprint, Boyfriend unclasped his leash while I was still out of view and rather than running up the stairs to sit by the apartment door like he has been trained to, he spun around and ran back the way they came. When I heard Boyfriend shout, "CALEB!! COME BACK HERE!", I froze and had a heart attack right there in the parking lot. Before I could even start running that direction, Caleb came around the corner at full speed and ran right up to me smiling and panting. I guess he wanted to make sure I didn't get lost. Disaster averted, but Boyfriend now waits for me to catch up before he unclasps Caleb's leash.

No comments: