Saturday, November 28, 2009

NaBloPoMo: The Bed Wars Continue

Today, Boyfriend, Caleb, and I piled in the car to head to Boyfriend's house to wait on a new mattress delivery. The delivery folks said they would be out between nine and noon, so I was desperately trying to light a fire under Boyfriend (who was with me at my house) to hurry up and get ready so we could be at his place, about 30-45 minute drive from where I live, right at nine.

As is frequently the case, this did not happen.

At 9:10, we were still 20 minutes away from his house and halfway through the "The delivery guys never show up on time" spiel from Boyfriend when they called to announce that they were on their way, and they would be there in half a hour.

I will have you know, I did not utter the dreaded phrase "I told you so". Points to me!

Even though we thought that we would just make it, they still beat us there, and had the back of the truck open and were standing around looking confused at why nobody was there. Boyfriend jumped out to let them know we were there, and I kept Caleb occupied while they were traipsing up and down the stairs.

Once the bed was delivered and the old mattress hauled out, we decided the place was in need of a good scrubbing, so we scrubbed and Caleb followed us around supervising until it was time for lunch. We decided we needed a pizza.

I should note that at this point, the mattress was on the bed, but there were no covers on it yet because the thing STANK to high heaven. I hate new mattress / new carpet / new furniture smell, so I had every window open trying to air it out. When we left, though, we decided to keep Caleb in his bedroom, because we don't have an area cordoned off with baby gates yet in his living room.

We had pizza and ran a few errands and did not really think about it until we were walking back up the first flight of stairs when Boyfriend said, "I'll bet he's on the brand new bed". So we initiated ultra sneaky mode, and tiptoed up the rest of the stairs to the bedroom, then flung open the bedroom door...

To find Caleb passed out in the middle of the brand new bed with no covers on it.

I guess with all the corgi hair, the new bed can consider itself initiated into the family. I think Boyfriend has realized that he is fighting a losing battle when it comes to Caleb and beds, and just sort of shook his head and mumbled, "I knew it!"

2 comments:

betty said...

you go Caleb!!! he just "knew" he had to stake claim to the new mattress/bed :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Well shoot ~ you don't put a fox in the hen house and expect to have all your chickens do you?

Corgis and beds were meant to be.